What Makes a Better Leader? Qualities, Skills, and Styles
What makes a better leader, for me, is the most vital question. As, the word leadership entails very cavernous meaning in itself. Leadership demonstrates the true self-controlling aspects such as intensifying from the ordinary to extraordinary. Leadership is an essential term that makes a person attain new heights and beat the odds.
Everyone sees a leader in an indispensable character. Analyze yourself first by checking out the checklist of leadership styles. Either way, if you did not find any of these styles you will be to make it your own by reading this post.
Top Quality Assets What Makes a Better Leader
He who has never learned to obey cannot be a good commander.—Aristotle
It is very transparent that the qualities of a leader what makes him/her stand out from the rest. Leading the people effectively and proficiently depends upon the qualities of a leader. However, these qualities are the foundation and can make you a better leader.
Still, there could be other factors that make you the most different as well. Yet, what makes you a better leader, most of the time highly relies on these qualities of a good leader.
7 most vital and effective qualities of a good leader are down below:
- Flexibility: Leadership’s thumb rule is flexibility, adaptability, and ready to change whenever needed. As, the relation of learning and growth is only related to an adaptive mind. A leader must be flexible in his/her behavior. Otherwise, they will never be enough capable to consent to any innovative ideas. A leader even not be able to take a new strategic direction to meet the changing business requirements.
- Engagement: A different prodigious asset for a leader to have is to be engaging. An engaging leader creates such vibes so that people could feel including. Leader makes the people even feel acknowledged, cherished, and appreciated. No company wants a stressed and conflicting environment. The leaders who own this asset tend to elevate the people consistently.
- Participation: A widely known fact is that leaders believe in three Ps, i.e., Participation, Persistence, and Persuasion. Now in a bigger picture, the asset of participation makes you a believer. A believer who participates and assure the participation of the whole team. In my point of view, this asset benefits you stimulate a comprehensive and collaborative culture.
- Problem-solving: Having the idea of becoming a leader is good, yet, it is no piece of cake. You have to keep this thing in your mind that a leader climbs many ladders. The ladder of flexibility, the ladder of compassion, the ladder of perseverance, and, many more. Consequently, leadership climbs the ladder of problem-solving that comes out as the most treasured leadership quality. Problem-solving is an imperative asset for a leader to have. In fact, it is the most critical quality of a leader to have. Yet, it is so exceptional to discover.
- Influential/ Persuasive: Leaders usually follow the idea, that things become easy for them who influences. Influential means, being persuasive. Persuade means a person good at persuading others to do something. Believing in something, through thinking or the use of temptation, is another meaning of persuasion. It is veracious for a leader to drive people in the true direction. This quality helps people to grow and learn more swiftly.
- Courageous: Leaders are well aware that they will achieve more when they will dare to lead. Hence, another prodigious characteristic of an eminent leader is the courage they enjoy. Leaders love the risks, adventurers, explorations, and dare very much. This permits them to open up the way of new possibilities. Leaders can make the team work on wild ideas and implement unflinching stratagems.
- Transparency: Being transparent is an astonishing asset. It assistances you cherish a trustworthy workforce where every Tom, Dick, and Harry knows to take charge of their tasks. A transparent leader recognizes how uprightness, devotion, and responsibility go hand in hand.
Top 5 Leadership Styles to Explore Your Leadership
Great leaders have emerged throughout history with distinct leadership styles in providing guidance, executing strategies, and inspiring people.
A delegated leadership style, also known as “laissez-faire leadership,”. This leadership focuses on delegating initiative to team members. If team members are capable, take responsibility, and tend to work alone, this can be a virtuous strategy. Disagreements among members, on the other hand, may break and divide a group. Subsequently, it can down the motivation and morale of team members.
To get the job done, transactional leadership plays the real role. Leadership models use “transactions” between a leader and his/her supporters. The supporters can be anything such as incentives, punishments, and other crafts. The leader delineates specific objectives. Yet, the team members understand how they will compensate for their cooperation. This leadership style shows more concern with professionally executing tasks. It also focuses upon the defined routines and procedures than on making major organizational adjustments.
Authoritarian leadership allows a leader to set goals and set objectives. In circumstances, a leader can be the most experienced member of the team. This is a one-person show where a leader may be successful. Whereas this is a time-saving tactic in a pinch. Still, innovation will suffer as a result of the team’s limited feedback. When a team needs specific instructions, the authoritarian leadership model will play a vital role.
Democratic philosophy underpins participatory leadership types. The chief goal is to make team members involved in decision-making. In consequence, team members feel incorporated, affianced, and enthused to contribute. In most decision-making processes, the leader will have the ultimate say. When there are differences within a community, however, finding consent may be an extensive process.
In transformational leadership, the leader instills a vision in his/her followers. Leader first inspires and ten empowers them to realize it. The vision’s creator also acts as a role model.
What Makes a Better Leader Depends Upon the Skills
- Strategic Thinking: The best strategic thinkers always focus on the big picture and wipe out the rest of the distractions. They always follow the answer to question tactic to solve the problems.
- Planning: The leader knows the real project planning. Leader for states how to carry out a project, i.e., scope, timeframe, resources, and objectives.
- Delivery: A leader fully aware of the project delivery method. Leader always fulfills the three areas before delivering a project, i.e., planning, design, and construction.
- People Management: Leaders understand this perception of how to build an effective team. Leaders build a team by recruiting effective people. They sure know how to bring people on board.
- Change Management: As great leaders are always adaptive. So the adaptive nature makes them ready to manage change with an open mind.
However, these qualities and skills are like a fish in the pond. On contrary, there are numerous capabilities that a leader can have. Aside from these common leadership qualities, what makes you a better leader is complete upon the individual. An individual can be his own hero with his supplementary leadership style.
Quaid-e-Azam: An Extraordinary Example As What Makes a Better Leader
Jinnah was the most adorable leader of all time. Why Jinnah was able to exhibit himself as a great leader? Jinnah possessed the ability to offer sober leadership. Jinnah was determined, a great thinker, open-minded, and courageous.
When Pakistan came into being, the country was not in a good condition. Pakistan was in crisis both economically and financially. Agricultural production was declining, and the ailing leader traveled throughout the world, attempting to solve the problems that had engulfed Pakistan.
Jinnah’s charismatic leadership was the most noteworthy part of his life. This is because he had a vision of breaking free from the shackles of bureaucracy. Jinnah wanted to free Muslims from India’s oppressive system.
He had an uncanny ability to see into the future, which he displayed even when fighting for India’s independence. He also wished for a democratic nation free of bigotry and religious fanaticism. His efforts were focused on the people’s hearts. Consequently, e valued people, which made him an extraordinary leader.
Conclusion: Developing Your Own Leadership Style
Leadership preparation from a successful Leadership school will help you appreciate your own leadership style and improve it. Good guidance leadership styles teach you the complexities of human actions and increase your understanding. It will also give you the chance to conduct yourself in various circumstances.
Another way to recognize your leadership strengths and weaknesses is leadership skills. In reality, personal leadership inspection is one of the best ways for furthering the production of authentic and successful leadership styles. Knowing yourself is a great source of leadership. This is the way of standing out and make yourself visible in the crowd.